Sunday, September 20, 2020

Entry #2: Graduating with no real graduation

Hello everyone! Today I wanted to talk about the impact of coronavirus on me. A number of us are a freshman taking this entry-level college class, so many of us did not get a graduation or prom so I know many of you can relate to this topic. This was of course at the start of the pandemic, earlier this year in March or April. No one knew how serious this virus would be, or especially how long this pandemic would last. Earlier this year I was a senior at Greenway Highschool, as well as a school called West-Mec. West-Mec is essentially a public school district that high school students can do dual enrollment in, or adults can also take these career-based courses. They even have a professional development course so it really is for everyone and anyone in Arizona. I had an amazing time at West-Mec and met many great people. the teachers there made all of the activities and labs fun, I don't have a picture of me, but here is a picture of a student making teeth whitening trays from a mouth molding and from a HOSA conference: 

When I went on spring break and received a message from my two schools stating we will not be coming to school until further notice and we would be taking online classes, I thought this is great, I get an extended break. But in reality, this would turn from something I was happy about to something that stripped me of important milestones in life. Everyone remembers their prom and how great it was or maybe not so great, but it is an experience you remember. I did not go to prom any of the other years because it was expensive to buy a prom dress, so I was waiting until my senior year to go all out with my dress, and hair and makeup. I had not bought my dress yet, I was just looking around, but it was exciting to go out and try on beautiful dresses and shoes. Although I am just glad I didn't go and spend all of that money on something I couldn't end up wearing. These were some dresses I was looking at:

That was sad for me because I wouldn't go to many school dances or events, just waiting for prom, to go all out, but graduation is a completely different story. It may sound like a small thing in words, but the feeling of walking across that stage all dressed up and being recognized for all of my accomplishments, not only for graduating high school but graduating West-Mec and obtaining my license in dental radiology. This is something I have worked and worked for every day for twelve years. I was not just graduating from high school, but I was finishing my K-12 school education. During this time I grew and became the person I am today, from 6 years old to today, 18 years old, I was beyond irate. I had put in so much effort and worked to finish this part of my education, where I would then move on to college and learn even more about myself and start a higher education that I get to choose to fit my career of choice. I know there wasn't a choice, it wasn't the schools that chose to do this, they had to because of the pandemic. This is something sad for me, but it is something that I can deal with and accept. I consider myself lucky that this is the hardest part of this pandemic for me. Many people have passed due to Covid-19 and I could not imagine the sadness and grief this would have on many others truly affected. On that sad note, I will see you guys next time, I hope you are all staying safe during this time and still being cautious of your surroundings. Don't forget your masks!


No comments:

Post a Comment