While I was there, the woman next to me started to talk to me and to my suprise she told me she was blind. I was very surprised because she was packaging and sorting the food with no problem and she was even helping me out. She told me about her struggles with being blind and how she does everything differently than me. One thing she told me about was that she uses the noises of the road to know when to cross the street. I thought it was dangerous for her, but she kept saying she can tell if it is safe and that is how she gets around. It really made me think, that she was born blind, yet she still had a better attitude than me, she helps our community all of the time. I was not wanting to go volunteer because I just wanted to sleep in, but this experience really opened my eyes to the struggles of others around me. I am more grateful for what I have and I got a chance to see life through someone else's view. I will definitely be volunteering in the future and if you would also like to help your community you can schedule volunteer time for St Mary's at this link, St Mary's Food Bank
Sunday, October 18, 2020
Entry #4: Volunteer Work
Hello, today I wanted to talk about an experience I had while helping my community. I have a scholarship and in order to maintain it for the semester I am required to do community service. It was actually hard to find volunteer work that I could do during Covid-19. After weeks of searching, I finally found a place to volunteer at. I had scheduled to go to St Mary's Food Bank on October 9th for three hours. It was early in the morning, I was excited to help, but also very tired. I got in the building and there were less people than I had expected there to be. The Army National Guard was there, handing out the food to people. I helped to package food sort it into carts so everyone gets a little bit of everything; fruits, meats, milk, and even eggs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment